The purpose of a sketch a day is just to do it - sketch! It doesn't matter if it is an involved sketch or if it is a simple contour or gesture drawing. There are no rules except to sketch each day.

Life parameters can dictate the time investment, but a sketch a day commitment is designed to elevate the personal priority of sketching ... to enforce sketching. Making it into a "resolution" validates the activity (invests it with a bit of a challenge even!) and defends against competing demands. The sketch a day is designed for practice - to reinforce basic skills, and to provide daily contemplation on the issues of two dimensional representation.

Several of us are doing a sketch a day, and I would enjoy hearing from anyone else who decides to join in. We share our efforts, support each other, keep each other honest and... hopefully we'll have some fun doing this!

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge...
and don't forget to check out older posts!


Thursday, June 30, 2011

June 29, 2011

    This is a sketchy drawing of a blow torch. Inside one of those cute shield shaped signs many old items used, it says "Clayton & Lambert MFG. CO. Trade-Mark Detroit. Mich. Made in U.S.A. Pat'd Jan. 4, 1921". The near thing is angled and has a thumb depression on top that seems to indicate it gets pumped... to build pressure, I guess. It also has "oil" printed on it where the plunger goes into the angled pump on top of the gasoline tank.  
    I tried to post this last night, but either the site was having trouble or my blog on the site was having trouble... part of the way through typing the above paragraph, the message below the post window changed from "Draft saved at x PM" to something about how the draft was unable to save properly. I tried copying, closing and reopening, getting off and back to my blog in various other ways... all things that might, to someone else, be obviously useless maneuvers, but I was hopeful... Then it started saying "Bad Error" at the top of everything blog related! I kid you not:  "Bad Error". I felt reprimanded; I had not only produced an error, but a bad one. "No no! Bad!" It felt ominous, sort of like "Bad Move"... I quit with good humor but with bad words...

2 comments:

  1. actually "Bad Error" seems less harsh than what my system threatens me with sometimes: "FATAL ERROR". So far I'm OK, but you have to wonder.....

    love the piercings on the horizontal tube part......

    cp

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting and complicated gadget. It looks like it was fun to draw! I'm glad your computer forgave you today...

    ReplyDelete