The purpose of a sketch a day is just to do it - sketch! It doesn't matter if it is an involved sketch or if it is a simple contour or gesture drawing. There are no rules except to sketch each day.

Life parameters can dictate the time investment, but a sketch a day commitment is designed to elevate the personal priority of sketching ... to enforce sketching. Making it into a "resolution" validates the activity (invests it with a bit of a challenge even!) and defends against competing demands. The sketch a day is designed for practice - to reinforce basic skills, and to provide daily contemplation on the issues of two dimensional representation.

Several of us are doing a sketch a day, and I would enjoy hearing from anyone else who decides to join in. We share our efforts, support each other, keep each other honest and... hopefully we'll have some fun doing this!

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge...
and don't forget to check out older posts!


Wednesday, November 2, 2011

October 30, 2011

    I suppose I'm still in the Halloween spirit, but this little gal really was a Halloween surprise! I had moved some plants inside to save them from a freeze, and perhaps she came from one of those, or perhaps she had gotten on me somehow when I moved some empty pots around by the front door in preparation for little trick or treaters, but at any rate when I came inside and carried a bowl of candy to the front door, I leaned over to set it down and suddenly there she was! 
    She ran scramble-zip across the table top toward the bowl. Now would you expect a spider to go for candy? I threw all of the candy on the floor except one package I used as a tool to scoop her into the bowl and keep her corralled down at the bottom until I found a small jar and got some rubbing alcohol into it - then plop. Poor lady - pickled. 
    Today I got her out and stretched her out onto a paper to draw. As you might expect, she's really rather lovely; sort of a velvety glossy black. She had a light red bit on her back and a rather under-developed hour-glass on her underside, but I know my widows and this is one. 
    We have had a bit of a population boom in widows in the yard this past summer, in fact. Most have been more decorative; with full blood red hour-glasses and red, yellow and white markings on their backs (Northern Black Widows). My "favorite" ones have white markings just like the ribs of a skeleton on their backs... so appropriate! In this case "favorite" is still something I'd gladly do without!

3 comments:

  1. eeeek! With all the lizards you would think someone would be a spider hunter? Great shadows but......too many models of this sort doesn't seem like a good thing, guess I'm not a true nature lover!

    cp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god, Emily, you are so Brave! How big was it? I would have just put the bowl over it and waited for Hal to dispatch it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, despite our earlier discussion on spiders, this one I did dispatch. We've had all too many of these this year! This one was of average size. I found a Huge one - largest I've ever seen - this summer which I took to the park thinking it would make an educational display... they didn't "bite"!

    ReplyDelete