The purpose of a sketch a day is just to do it - sketch! It doesn't matter if it is an involved sketch or if it is a simple contour or gesture drawing. There are no rules except to sketch each day.

Life parameters can dictate the time investment, but a sketch a day commitment is designed to elevate the personal priority of sketching ... to enforce sketching. Making it into a "resolution" validates the activity (invests it with a bit of a challenge even!) and defends against competing demands. The sketch a day is designed for practice - to reinforce basic skills, and to provide daily contemplation on the issues of two dimensional representation.

Several of us are doing a sketch a day, and I would enjoy hearing from anyone else who decides to join in. We share our efforts, support each other, keep each other honest and... hopefully we'll have some fun doing this!

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge...
and don't forget to check out older posts!


Friday, April 15, 2011

April 7, 2011

     With about thirty minutes before we would have to leave, I stepped into a promising gallery room at the National Gallery and chose a painting to sketch as an exercise. It was a relatively easy choice; the 1786 Henry Fuseli oil of Oedipus Cursing his Son, Polynices has simple, strong dramatic shapes, and with four figures (that is a figure in the lower right weeping on one of Oedipus' knees) and a very dark background it's relatively uncomplicated. 
     This is as far as I got in the time available even though I whipped right into it; even skipping fundamental stages like measurement since I didn't plan on putting so much into it that being a bit off on the sketch would ruin a big time investment. I was more interested in practising my eye and hand, and within a time limit. The placement is surprisingly close (well, I was surprised), and maybe I'll go back to it for another 20 minutes or so when I'm there again... however most of the remainder is, as I said, very dark and just pressing graphite into the paper might not have much practice value. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment