The purpose of a sketch a day is just to do it - sketch! It doesn't matter if it is an involved sketch or if it is a simple contour or gesture drawing. There are no rules except to sketch each day.

Life parameters can dictate the time investment, but a sketch a day commitment is designed to elevate the personal priority of sketching ... to enforce sketching. Making it into a "resolution" validates the activity (invests it with a bit of a challenge even!) and defends against competing demands. The sketch a day is designed for practice - to reinforce basic skills, and to provide daily contemplation on the issues of two dimensional representation.

Several of us are doing a sketch a day, and I would enjoy hearing from anyone else who decides to join in. We share our efforts, support each other, keep each other honest and... hopefully we'll have some fun doing this!

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge...
and don't forget to check out older posts!


Sunday, September 18, 2011

September 17, 2011

     This magnolia pod ended up going through stages... At first, I drew this with 2B and 4B mechanical pencils. As I was drawing I kept thinking what a shame it was not to color in those wonderful red beans, but unfortunately the graphite would smear and dull the colors of just about any other medium I used. 
     I ended up coloring in the beans with colored pencils, but when I tried barely touching in some of the rest of the colors the graphite interfered and muddied the color while the colors smudged the graphite. Disagreeable. 
     The rest of the pod is all very softly colored, so I ended up touching in the rest of the body with very thin water colors so the graphite drawing showed through, but then having to go back in with graphite to touch up where even that thin application frosted over and obscured the details. 

2 comments:

  1. ah, when you mentioned a magnolia seed earlier I thought of the great red/green opportunities (my favorite color combo of all time!) and here it is!

    Interesting to hear what it took to get here, with paints and pencils.

    cp

    ReplyDelete
  2. It works! Very nicely done. I love the different textures you've achieved - I can really feel the furry stickiness of the pod.

    ReplyDelete