The purpose of a sketch a day is just to do it - sketch! It doesn't matter if it is an involved sketch or if it is a simple contour or gesture drawing. There are no rules except to sketch each day.

Life parameters can dictate the time investment, but a sketch a day commitment is designed to elevate the personal priority of sketching ... to enforce sketching. Making it into a "resolution" validates the activity (invests it with a bit of a challenge even!) and defends against competing demands. The sketch a day is designed for practice - to reinforce basic skills, and to provide daily contemplation on the issues of two dimensional representation.

Several of us are doing a sketch a day, and I would enjoy hearing from anyone else who decides to join in. We share our efforts, support each other, keep each other honest and... hopefully we'll have some fun doing this!

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge...
and don't forget to check out older posts!


Tuesday, May 3, 2011

April 26, 2011

     Okay... after a few days of too much to handle, I've done two sketches today to work toward catching back up (as if that's apt to happen quickly)! This is a small carved wooden duck made in Indonesia. 
     I drew it with a woodless graphite. I had been tidying some pencils and discovered this one, so I gave it a try since a friend has had positive things to say about them. This was definately not a fair test though, since this one was HB and I would never have chosen an HB if there had been others in the group. In addition to the hardness, I found this awkward due to the weight and difficulty of getting a proper point, so I had problems with achieving the values I wanted. Nevertheless, I'll probably pick up a softer woodless graphite the next time I'm some place that carries them.

No comments:

Post a Comment