The purpose of a sketch a day is just to do it - sketch! It doesn't matter if it is an involved sketch or if it is a simple contour or gesture drawing. There are no rules except to sketch each day.

Life parameters can dictate the time investment, but a sketch a day commitment is designed to elevate the personal priority of sketching ... to enforce sketching. Making it into a "resolution" validates the activity (invests it with a bit of a challenge even!) and defends against competing demands. The sketch a day is designed for practice - to reinforce basic skills, and to provide daily contemplation on the issues of two dimensional representation.

Several of us are doing a sketch a day, and I would enjoy hearing from anyone else who decides to join in. We share our efforts, support each other, keep each other honest and... hopefully we'll have some fun doing this!

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge...
and don't forget to check out older posts!


Tuesday, May 17, 2011

May 13, 2011

    As a gardener, I think of slugs as voracious pests, but I've also always considered them rather pretty. They have a velvety look and a wild animal print pattern. 
    I've heard they have a plate instead of teeth, but although this one kept opening it's mouth, the edges seemed pliable and the shape variable. Perhaps I should have shown the lower stalks raised or forward, which seems more typical (I certainly had my choice), but this one seemed to be doing some version of "seeing" with the top eye-stalks (which do have a dark dot) and "smelling" or "tasting" with the lower stalk set.
    Unsuccessful in showing the difficult wet velvet look of this big guy/gal (slugs are hermaphroditic), I tried darkening the area behind and above, but that was worse so I had to erase, leaving that area smudgy. At that point, I was also fighting the influence of a whole new medium:  Slug slime.
    Lots of lessons here... I started him/her too close to the centre of the page and had to resort to cropping. Slugs are hard to handle and won't stay on their stick and make goo and yuck all over your paper and I had to resort to cropping. When the slug slime gets all over your left hand due to trying to corral while drawing with your right, it takes lots of time and rubbing alcohol to get it all off... I almost had to resort to cropping...

4 comments:

  1. I for one am looking forward to more in the slug slime medium.......wonder if it is more suited to texture, like if you dusted it with...used coffee grounds, just for instance....?

    cp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, slug slime as a medium! I wonder what the thinner would be? You said alcohol works... You certainly are a courageous artist! I would never touch a slug, or let one on my paper! Your drawing is beautiful, by the way! (and I've learned a lot about slugs!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an artist won't do for her art!!! This is far beyond Winslow Homer's having someone tie him to a post so he could study storms and not be washed away by the waves. I've picked far to many slugs from my lettuces and cabbages to want to give them that much attention, and yes, they do have a beauty to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He did that? Good grief that boy was strange...

    ReplyDelete