The purpose of a sketch a day is just to do it - sketch! It doesn't matter if it is an involved sketch or if it is a simple contour or gesture drawing. There are no rules except to sketch each day.

Life parameters can dictate the time investment, but a sketch a day commitment is designed to elevate the personal priority of sketching ... to enforce sketching. Making it into a "resolution" validates the activity (invests it with a bit of a challenge even!) and defends against competing demands. The sketch a day is designed for practice - to reinforce basic skills, and to provide daily contemplation on the issues of two dimensional representation.

Several of us are doing a sketch a day, and I would enjoy hearing from anyone else who decides to join in. We share our efforts, support each other, keep each other honest and... hopefully we'll have some fun doing this!

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge...
and don't forget to check out older posts!


Tuesday, March 15, 2011

March 10, 2011

     This is a blue glass cruet with glass stopper. The line down the left side and the shadows on the paper behind it are because I'm having to get used to a new software. Perhaps when I learn to do this better I'll replace the image with one scanned more tidily.
     I used Prismacolor pencils, and would have liked to have had a smoother paper, but you can zoom and see that I laid down so much pigment it should bloom like a candle (am I mixing my metaphors if I mean "bloom" as in wax?) to crush down the pores. I enjoy using either a light touch or a heavy one with colored pencils... it was fun simply to do one with Color!

2 comments:

  1. This is fun, the stopper, the ying/yang interior, the shadow.......I've been missing color vicariously!

    cp

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really nice - you've got the glass thing going on, very well done... keep experimenting with different papers until you find one you like. Bristol (smooth, not vellum) is really nice. Have you ever tried photographing your drawings instead of scanning them? I just pop my camera on the tripod, make sure it is set for incandescent light, shine my spotlight on it, and set the time delay for two seconds. Then I pop the card out and into my computer.

    ReplyDelete