The purpose of a sketch a day is just to do it - sketch! It doesn't matter if it is an involved sketch or if it is a simple contour or gesture drawing. There are no rules except to sketch each day.

Life parameters can dictate the time investment, but a sketch a day commitment is designed to elevate the personal priority of sketching ... to enforce sketching. Making it into a "resolution" validates the activity (invests it with a bit of a challenge even!) and defends against competing demands. The sketch a day is designed for practice - to reinforce basic skills, and to provide daily contemplation on the issues of two dimensional representation.

Several of us are doing a sketch a day, and I would enjoy hearing from anyone else who decides to join in. We share our efforts, support each other, keep each other honest and... hopefully we'll have some fun doing this!

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge...
and don't forget to check out older posts!


Monday, August 1, 2011

July 29, 2011

    I'm drawing, but having trouble using someone else's equipment. If I manage to figure some things out, I'll post some tomorrow. If not... I'll just keep trying when I can work in some time to try things out. 

July 29, 2011 

     Well, I had a breakthrough in process, although I'm still dependent on someone else to help with the resizing rather than install different software on someone else's computer (!) so here is the plane window from the flight out on the thirtieth. 
     There's not much to see from a window seat, really, but this was the most time in one spot on that day! It was very awkward working in this small space; I couldn't move my elbows freely enough in the confines of the wall, seat and arm rest. To compensate, I rotated the pad instead, and the results are not what I would have liked. The biggest problem is with the bottom of the shade, where I have gotten the shape wrong... almost reversed the two bottom curves. 
    The Atlantic ocean was in sight when we were low enough, with the thin line of barrier islands visible.
     

2 comments:

  1. Do it all when you get back and we'll just IMAGINE you having fun in the (less hot?) sun til then.

    cp

    ReplyDelete
  2. What memories Woods Hole brings back! I went there for a day trip a couple of times when I was a child; I think my mother was showing guests around the area.

    Stay engaged in the here & now, then post later - maybe you already have, as I am late reading this.

    ReplyDelete