The purpose of a sketch a day is just to do it - sketch! It doesn't matter if it is an involved sketch or if it is a simple contour or gesture drawing. There are no rules except to sketch each day.

Life parameters can dictate the time investment, but a sketch a day commitment is designed to elevate the personal priority of sketching ... to enforce sketching. Making it into a "resolution" validates the activity (invests it with a bit of a challenge even!) and defends against competing demands. The sketch a day is designed for practice - to reinforce basic skills, and to provide daily contemplation on the issues of two dimensional representation.

Several of us are doing a sketch a day, and I would enjoy hearing from anyone else who decides to join in. We share our efforts, support each other, keep each other honest and... hopefully we'll have some fun doing this!

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge...
and don't forget to check out older posts!


Friday, February 25, 2011

Feb. 24, 2011

    Here's a cast iron frying pan full of popcorn. One of my weakest weaknesses in drawing is producing a truly round round. Here, my pan bulges to the upper left of the handle, which is set a hair to the side from where it should be set. There are probably other problems but that's what I see right off... I will continue to try to improve on cylinders over the year since they are a challenge to me for some reason...

3 comments:

  1. ummmm, does anyone see a cylinder problem but you? I can practically SMELL the popcorn its so realistic......

    cp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, very nice popcorn! (I didn't know you could make popcorn in a skillet - I always use a pot - I'll have to try this.) You should do what my Foundation drawing teacher did to us. He put plates, glasses, cups, saucers, (you get the idea) on the floor, and we had to draw them very accurately. I think we spent a whole 6-hour class on this. We measured and measured. This really helped our understanding of ellipses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your word choice "did to us" instead of "did with us"... !
    Yes, I keep thinking I will do cylinders, cylinders, cylinders... but then "oh look! a chicken!" (or "a root", "seed pod", "dog", "plant" . . .
    It probably doesn't help that I find cylinders difficult and thus unsatisfactory/unsatisfying!

    ReplyDelete