The purpose of a sketch a day is just to do it - sketch! It doesn't matter if it is an involved sketch or if it is a simple contour or gesture drawing. There are no rules except to sketch each day.

Life parameters can dictate the time investment, but a sketch a day commitment is designed to elevate the personal priority of sketching ... to enforce sketching. Making it into a "resolution" validates the activity (invests it with a bit of a challenge even!) and defends against competing demands. The sketch a day is designed for practice - to reinforce basic skills, and to provide daily contemplation on the issues of two dimensional representation.

Several of us are doing a sketch a day, and I would enjoy hearing from anyone else who decides to join in. We share our efforts, support each other, keep each other honest and... hopefully we'll have some fun doing this!

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge...
and don't forget to check out older posts!


Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Jan. 26, 2011

    This is a scene from the Julie Metz Wetlands Bank park on the road out to Leesylvania state park. This is a favorite dog walk park for us, and we often see wonderful water birds here. There is also a classic beaver lodge just off shore in this marsh. 
     I didn't notice when sketching that I was going to end up putting the central mound of reeds quite So central... I suppose for composition's sake I should have moved it to the side some. I also notice that on this image (which I took with a scanner), some of the lightest pencil marks - indicating the prior movements of the frozen water - do not show up. There actually is some pencil work going on in the lower left and right quadrants.

3 comments:

  1. another example of you seeing more when you scan! I don't remember the "look at your drawing in the mirror" advice from Mama, more the "do you really think anyone's feet are that big?" type thing. Perhaps the more advanced artist child got more technical advice.......

    cp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I Did notice the composition, but one Can't see the lightest pencil marks where the water made swirls in the ice, and I rather liked those...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely sketch. It doesn't bother me that you put the mound of reeds in the center... who cares about compositional "rules"? You have nice asymmetrical contrapostal (? you know what I mean) things going on around it to offset the central-ness of the mound. I like to break rules, like "never have anything touching the corner of the picture". Rules are meant to be broken. I think your drawing works as is. And I can see the ripples in the lower left, I think!

    ReplyDelete