The purpose of a sketch a day is just to do it - sketch! It doesn't matter if it is an involved sketch or if it is a simple contour or gesture drawing. There are no rules except to sketch each day.

Life parameters can dictate the time investment, but a sketch a day commitment is designed to elevate the personal priority of sketching ... to enforce sketching. Making it into a "resolution" validates the activity (invests it with a bit of a challenge even!) and defends against competing demands. The sketch a day is designed for practice - to reinforce basic skills, and to provide daily contemplation on the issues of two dimensional representation.

Several of us are doing a sketch a day, and I would enjoy hearing from anyone else who decides to join in. We share our efforts, support each other, keep each other honest and... hopefully we'll have some fun doing this!

Click on any of the sketches to enlarge...
and don't forget to check out older posts!


Sunday, July 10, 2011

July 10, 2011

      I started this sketch of a boot with a different type of colored pencils - drier and less heavily pigmented - just to try the other pencils. I didn't like the initial outline much (the body of the foot is a bit long in the arch) but I'm running out of paper so I just flipped the page and started over with a close-up of just the toe, but decided against that and went ahead with simply finishing this one, adding in some black pen too... so the over-all shape still has the overly long thing going on, and you can just make out the ghost image of the second start through the page. 
      One of the reasons I was interested in drawing the boot was because of the combination of the distressed leather, the steel on the hooks and pull, and the copper plate held on by brass round-headed screws. My colors available here are limited and it was a challenge to approximate copper. 
      My husband cut the copper plate and put it on, so the shape is just a bit irregular and the whole hand retro-fitted look is much more appealing. He thinks I should tell on myself that he added the copper plate after I brushed my boot on his tail pipe. Apparently it took a half an hour to remove the scorch mark... and then I got this cool copper plate! (I really can't see how I could possibly have touched the blasted thing except just as you find the pegs if you have to get back on while it's still hot...). There, I confessed (but I like my boot bling so I'm Not Sorry)!    

2 comments:

  1. This is a WAY COOL drawing! I love the mixed media, and all the different marks are very lively. The laces are fuzzy and 3-D looking, the wooden heel looks like wood, the copper plate looks very coppery, the leather looks leathery, and the zipper pull looks heavy and dangly (how is it that the pull is at the bottom?) It doesn't bother me at all about the arch being long. It has wonderful character, and looks like it could be an illustration in a children's book (Bonnie the Boot?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Bonnie (the Bad) and Clod (Hopper)?

    The zipper is unzipped - it just stays pretty much together, even undone because the leather is stiff enough. The front half of the zipper is over top of the back half. The laces (done in a style called box lacing) are never unlaced, although they could be.

    ReplyDelete